Saturday, September 13, 2014

Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe

So I had never had acorn squash before and my husband was like you need to just cook it with brown sugar. Well my health side said well that is calories galore. I came up with this recipe instead lol and guess what the hubby LOVED it!!!

 
Ingredients:
 
2- Acorn Squash cut in half
 
3tbsp olive oil
 
a few handfuls of spinach
 
one onion diced
 
3/4 tsp thyme
 
1 cup long grain rice
 
2 cup low sodium chicken stock
 
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
 
 
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle lightly 1tbsp of olive oil over the insides of the squash and season with pepper. Place cut side down on baking dish. Roast until tender for my oven it was 35 minutes. When I took the squash out of the oven I flipped them over and then I took a spoon and scraped the center seed part out. It was a lot easier at that point to get it out I thought.
 
 
 
meanwhile in a skillet I heat the remaining 2tbsp of olive oil. Add the diced onions and thyme. Saute until the onions are transparent and then throw in the spinach. Cook for a few minutes until the spinach is withered down.
 
Add rice and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until all liquid is gone, roughly about 20 minutes.
 
 
 
 
Divide the rice mixture and place inside each slice of squash. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and place under the broiler until you have a crunchy top.
 
Enjoy!
I served this with Apple Pork Chops!
That recipe is coming next!!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment