Monday, September 8, 2014

Healthy Halupki Casserole... Yum so good and quick!

Healthy Halupki Casserole Recipe

I never was a fan of the whole halupki thing when I was growing up. I would always open up the cabbage and just eat the rice and hamburger mixture, anyone else do that growing up?? I use to make my mother so mad! I made Halupki the old fashion way once last year and don't get me wrong it was frickin incredible, BUT it took hours of prep. Lets face it no one these days has time for that. So why not just throw it all in a casserole dish and cook it?!?!

Here is what I used:

- one medium size head of cabbage
-1lb ground chicken
-1 medium size onion (chopped)
-1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
-2 can progresso tomato soup (blue can)
-1 soup can full of water
-a little sprinkle of sugar (like 1/4tsp)
-2tbsp red wine vinegar
-pepper to taste
-garlic powder (1/4 tsp)
-Italian season (1/4 tsp)

Chop up the cabbage and place into a 9 X 12 casserole pan, stoneware whatever you use.

Brown the ground chicken, add onion, spices and rice. Mix well then dump on top of the cabbage.

Add to the casserole dish the soup, water, sugar and vinegar and then mix well.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 90 minutes stirring every so often. Cabbage should be tender. Once done I sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on top.



With the way I made it the calorie count was 360 calories per serving, not bad at all!

You can always throw this in the crock pot and cook it all day and it will be ready for you when you come home from work. Also you can use ground turkey instead of chicken, or ground beef but beef will bump the calorie count up. Tomato sauce can be used instead of soup but again just check the sodium amounts on what you use. My picky eater Alexis even said it was good!!!

Give it a try and let me know what you guys think. FYI cabbage is on sale at Maines this week for $0.29lb.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment